Monroe County Courthouse, Rochester New York
The 1894-96 structure is the third Monroe County Courthouse to be erected on this site. The first, costing approximately $7,000.00, was erected in 1821-22. The second courthouse was completed in 1851, at a cost of $70,000.00. In each case, lack of adequate space created the need for a new structure. The site, one of three proposed in 1821, was selected as the most centrally located and most convenient.
The structure, situated in the midst of the business and governmental heart of the city, faces north. The southeast corner of the lot contains a parking lot.