Structures by State
Structures by Type
Structures by Architectural Style
This building was originally constructed in 1897 as a one-room schoolhouse. Native red stone was hauled by team and wagon two miles from a rock quarry which supplied building material for other structures in the area.
An addition 1n 1907, utilizing the same native stone, resulted in the building's present "T" plan configuration. The original portion of the building is believed to have been constructed by a local builder named Reed. No information relating to Mr. Reed has been found. Structural differences between the front and-rear portions suggest that a different builder was responsible for the newer rear portion.More...
This large water powered flour mill was built in 1855. Built for Frederick Hilgen and William Schroeder, millers, Hilgen and Schroeder came to Cedarburg in 1844? purchased 30 acres of land for $35 and built a log mill which was in operation until the present mill was built in 1855. Schroeder was first postmaster of Cedarburg. In 1865, Hilgen sold his interest in the mill to a man named Trottman. The Cedarburg Supply Company acquired the mill ca. 1925-30. The original cost of the mill was $25,000, and it had a capacity of 120 barrels of flour per day.
The original part of the building is L-shaped, consisting of a main block plus wing. The main block is rectangular, 7-4-1/2'x 42', with the major axis running northwest-southeast, and with entrances on the southwest side. The wing extends 36-1/2' from the northwest end of the northeast side, and is 30-1/2' wide. The main block is divided 6 bays by 3 bays; the wing, 3 bays by 2 bays. The main block is five stories high with a monitor roof; the wing, four stories with a monitor roof. One story modern additions are at the southeast end and the northeast side.More...
This church was built in 1859 for the use of an Indian Catholic congregation. It has been used continuously (as of 1936, current status is unknown) since then by the Catholic Church.
Its walls are made of hewn logs ("hewed" in Minnesota), chinked with lime mortar. The gables and belfay are of square edge siding. On the inside of the church the ceiling has beaded boards.More...