B&O Railroad East Roundhouse, Martinsburg West Virginia
East Roundhouse is a building in the former locomotive repair and machine shops erected by the B & 0 in Martinsburg beginning in 1849. Destroyed by the Confederal troops in 1861, the existing shops date from 1866 and later. Originally identical to the West Roundhouse, the building had its cast-iron frame replaced by roof-trusses of heavy timber in 1927.
The B&O Railroad shops operated until 1988. This site was active early in the Civil War and was the site of the first National Labor Strike of 1877.