The brick, two and a half story hotel was built in 1883. Anton Dern was owner of the hotel which had the reputation as one of the finest hotels in Wausau. Dern was one of Wausau's. earliest pioneers, arriving from Germany in 1845. When he retired from managing the hotel in 1904, his son and stepson continued in the business. In the late 1950s the hotel changed hands and became a residential hotel.