St. Stanislaus Church, Milwaukee Wisconsin
This was the first Polish church in Milwaukee and mother church for later Polish parishes. The cornerstone was laid July, 1372, but work proceeded slowly as the principal building period appears to have been 1884-1894. During this period, the sanctuary was built, the roof covered with copper, the organ installed, and the interior painted, there is a note that the church was built without suteren, a Polish word meaning a below ground-level room usually used for living quarters. In this case it may mean basement.
Major remodeling took place between 1895 and 1913 but it is not possible to break this down in detail. During this period, the three main entrances were surrounded by a simulated Gothic Revival porch, the archivolts of the principal windows in the lower part of the towers were changed from their original quasi-oriental form to more Romanized versions, buttresses were added to the south and north sides and topped with statues of the twelve apostles, and the fleche was added over the crossing. During this period, the interior underwent extensive elaboration. The walls were faced with Wisconsin marble, marble altars, a new pulpit, and other decorations were added,