Army Medical Museum and Library, Washington DC
This was a specially designed building, intended as the fireproof, permanent home of the Army Medical Museum, which was founded in 1862. It housed collection of surgical and medical specimens and a medical library.
It was demolished in 1969 and its collections transferred to Walter Reed Hospital, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology.
The building was U-shaped, with small 2-story wing in center of U; 19-bay front; 11-bay flank; 3 stories on raised basement; gable roof on center portion, hipped roofs with monitors on wings.
The wings contained 2-story exhibit galleries with exposed iron-truss roofs with central monitors. The east gallery was ringed by balcony on all four sides; hall floors were tile, room and exhibit gallery floors were linoleum or asphalt tiles; fireplaces in most of the small offices had wooden mantels painted black.