Birch Funeral Home, Washington DC
This home was built as a funeral home sometime between 1866 and 1871 by Joeseph F. Birch. It remained in the family and was used as a funeral home until 1966 when it was sold.
The house is rectangular 45'3" by 26'6" and is attached by a link 4' 6" wide to the stable or carriage house which measures 41'4" by 26'3". The house has a three bay facade, and is three stories tall; the carriage house is two stories.
After years of alterations, virtually nothing remains of the original interior. Along the north wall of the house are a straight run of stairs; 9 1/4" treads and 8 1/2" risers. Flooring is wood and concrete. Old steel bolt locks appear on several doors. The lighting is incandescent. Heating is through steam radiators. One old cast iron stove (1877) is located on the second floor.