W.P. Sawyer Cabin, Yakima, Yakima County, Washington
The Sawyer Cabin, the oldest existing house in the Yakima Valley, was built by J. P. Mattoon in 1664, according to the Yakima Junior Chamber of Commerce. In that same year, Mattoon was appointed farm instructor for the Indians at Fort Simcoe, in which capacity he served four and one-half years. In 1869 he returned to the cabin to engage in stock raising which he followed for eighteen years. At this time, 1887, J. P. Flint, came into possession of the cabin, occupying it for a number of years, after which Mr. W. P. Sawyer, bought the property, and. from whence the cabin derives its name.
Previous to the building of the Sawyer Cabin, a squatter named Connell, had built a cabin on the place. The Sawyer Cabin, was built immediately north of the Connell Cabin and a roof was suspended between them; the Connell cabin was used as a kitchen until later when it was removed.
Materials of Construction: The cabin is built of cottonwood logs, a none too durable material; the roof is of shake shingles and covered with clay, about three inches thick. The chinks are closed with clay. The stone for the fireplace is local sandstone cut with an axe, carefully fitted and laid up with clay joints.