Capt, James Henry Swift House, Whidbey Island, Washington
Captain Swift, whaler, from New Bedford, Mass., came to Whidby Island with the "Anadir" for the first load of spars for a foreign country, and bought the house from Smith in 1855, paying $3,000.00 in gold for it. The house was the scene of notable visits, including Governors and other officials.
The house was moved, log for log, and stone for stone, from Penn Cove, its original site, to the present location, Front and Colbert streets, adjoining the City Park, by his son Dr. George Swift, of Seattle. In doing this but two new logs were added, and what is now the living room comprised the whole house and included a lean-to; the partitions dividing the house into rooms and the stair to bed rooms above, having been removed. The house is owned by Krs. Puget Race, nee Hattie Swift, Dr. Swifts sister.