Sabine Hall, Warsaw Virginia
Sabine Hall was built in 1730 for Colonel Landon Carter by his father, Robert Garter, of Corotoman, whose extensive possessions In the Colony of Virginia caused him to be called "King" Carter by his compatriots.
According to tradition Colonel Carter named his estate for Horace's Sabine Farm because of his interest and great delight in the Roman poet Horace.
The estate consists of some four thousand acres on the Rappahannock In Richmond County, On the river side of the house is an excellent example of a Colonial garden at its best. Practically unchanged since it was laid off about 1730 by English gardeners, it has a series of six terraces. Broad grass ramps lead down from one terrace to the next.
It was in this garden that George Washington unfolded to Landon Carter his plans for the campaign at Morristown. Upon leaving he took with him the young son of Sabine Hall to enlist In the Army of the Revolution.
Around 1930 the west wing was added to the main two story "building "by Philip N. Stern, architect, the east wing being of a very much older date. An old drawing was discovered showing that a wing was contemplated on the west to match the old east wing. At this time changes were made to the old east wing, including the panelling in the dining room and new wall panelling was added to the southeast room on the first floor of the main building.