Capitol Theatre, Pottsville Pennsylvania
Complex of Spanish Colonial Revival design. Constructed in 1927 of cast stone terra cotta block and brick, the Capitol was specially built for sound and was considered as the 'ace' Comeford Theatre. The Capitol Theatre was one of the largest movie theatres in Pennsylvania with a seating capacity of 2700.
'L' shaped building. Basement plus 3 stories. 1st floor theatre, 2nd and 3rd floors were apartments. Theatre contained approximately 19, 012 sq. ft.
Elaborate Spanish decor w/high ceilings. Main floor seated approximately 2,000 with the balcony seating 718. Sculptured ornate plaster on ceiling, walls, doorways and border area of stage. Two tiled water gargoyles, wood columns , metal wall sconces, and chandeliers. Professional stage w/orchestra pit. Frized cranberry seats.
After being abandoned for 6 years portions of the roof had collapsed. The building was demolished in the second half of 1982.