Hervey Ely House (Irondequoit Chapter House Daughter of the American Revolution), Rochester New York
The Hervey Ely House sits like a small Greek temple on top of a hill in Rochester's architecturally significant Third Ward Historic District. As one of the finest examples of Greek Revival architecture in western New York, it features free-standing Doric columns, entablatures, pilasters and antae. The interior has elaborate plaster decorations and fine marble fireplaces. This structure is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. It has been designated a landmark by the Rochester Preservation Board.
Hervey Ely, a wealthy owner of the Red Mill grist mill, was one of the leaders of Rochester during the booming flour milling period. After the collapse of the grain market in 1841, Ely was forced to sell the house. Subsequent owners were all prominent citizens of Rochester.
The house is "built on a hill near the site of the Seneca Indians' Last Sacrifice of the White Dog.
Floor plan: The side entrance provides access to a hall from which open the double parlors to the left and an office to the right, in the north wing. The library in the south wing is reached through the rear parlor. The hall continues to the rear providing access to the north-south hall from which open the dining room and kitchen. The second floor contains two apartments, one in the main block and one in the rear section.