Henry Marvin Yerington House, Carson City Nevada
Henry Marvin Yerington was born in Colburne, Ontario, Canada on September 5th 1829. In 1858 he married Susan Mary Hume, and in 1863 with his wife and two sons came to Carson City. At this time Yerington was- associated primarily with milling operations. He is listed in the 1868-69 Directory as "Yerington, H.M., millman". He constructed the first flume for sending timber down from Lake Tahoe to the Carson Valley. By 1868 he was associated with the Virginia and Truckee Railroad, which was organized in March of that year, and drove the first and the last spikes for the V. and T, tracks from Virginia City to Carson City. In 1872, he was appointed General Superintendent of the V. & T.
There were three sons and a daughter of this first marriage. The first Mrs. Yerington died in May 1874, and in 1887 Mr. Yerington married Clara Bender. There was one child, Henry Herbert, of this marriage. In 1876 Yerington became Vicepresident, as well as continuing to be General Superintendent, of the railroad. He was also largely responsible for the Carson and Colorado Railroad, which was completed in 1882 and sold to The Southern Pacific Company in 1900.
During the course of his many faceted professional career, Yerington was involved in over forty companies, generally as an officer or member of a Board of Directors. In addition to the railroad, his major interests were in milling, mining, and timber operations. He was also at one time president of the Carson Water Works. The Yeringtons were very active in the Episcopal Church. Yerington himself held no political office but by virtue of his position with the railroad and consequently the mining and industrial interests, was able to influence many of the policies and decisions of Nevada politics of his time.
In his later years, Mr. Yerington became deaf, and according to the children in the neighborhood, quite irascible. Perhaps a truer measure of the man is the fact that the day before he died, he went to his office and burned all the notes due him from individuals to whom he had lent money over the years. The next day, November 25, 1910, he passed away. His funeral, held at St. Peter's Episcopal Church, was the largest which had then been held in Carson City. Special trains were run from Virginia City and Reno. Yerington is buried in Lone Mountain Cemetery in Carson City.
The Yerington family held the house until 1920, During the mid-twentieth century, Mr. George-B. Russell was perhaps the most noted of its occupants. Russell was a native of Elko, served two terms in the Nevada State Assembly, and in 1910 became Supervisor of the U.S. Census for the State. In 1927 he was appointed State Treasurer, and moved permanently to Carson City. In 1928 he was elected to the post of treasurer and served for eight years. In 1954 Russell became bailiff of the U.S. District Court in Carson City and held this position until his retirement in i960. Russell made the house into three apartments and occupied the central one.