West House, Minneapolis Minnesota
Built by Col. Ebenexer West between 1850 and 1855, the second building in point of age now (1936) standing, on the East bank of the Mississippi River in (then) St. Anthony Falls, now Minneapolis.
In the early days this was a famous summer resort for Southern tourists arriving by boat up the Mississippi, the only transportation available.
This is a good example of the wood architecture of the period. The floors are of heavy hand hewn joist. It was also called the "Kenwood Hotel" and the "Temperance Hotel" at later dates.
Bought in 1888 by a Mr. Schumacher. Mrs. Schumacher later married T. J. Doty, and they ran the hotel as a workingmen's boarding house for 15 or 20 years.