Commercial Building 66 Monroe, Detroit Michigan
The structure is a four-story (plus basement) commercial building constructed in brick masonry in 1852. It measures 20' wide and 100' deep on the first story, but is only 75' deep on the second through fourth stories. The cornice has since been removed, and the second-story feneatration altered, but third and fourth story one-over-one windows with their cast iron sills and lintels with urn and scroll motifs remain intact.
Hiram R. Johnson (1825-1894), a prominant Detroit businessman, bought the real estate where this building stands in 1852 and erected a series of commercial buildings known as the Johnson Block. The architect is unknown. Tenants in the two first floor spaces have included an umbrella manufacturer continuously from 1888 through 1912, a pawnbroker in 1910-1918, followed by a series of men's clothing stores from 1920 through 1933. Later tenants included a show repair shop and the Tip Top Book Store. The upper-floor tenants are not listed in the City Directories and are unknown.