Historic Structures

Institution for Savings, New Bedford Massachusetts

Date added: December 17, 2009 Categories: Massachusetts Bank Italianate

A commercial building erected at the peak of New Bedford's prosperity, which is a rare extant example of Italian Renaissance influence on mid-nineteenth century American architecture. Originally built for the New Bedford Institution for Savings. From 1897 to about 1940 or 1950 used by the Third District Court, presumably owned by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, then purchased by Johnson's Inc for use as a automobile parts and machine shop.

Institution for Savings, New Bedford Massachusetts August 1961 EAST AND SOUTH (FRONT) ELEVATIONS
August 1961 EAST AND SOUTH (FRONT) ELEVATIONS