Congregational (now First Unitarian) Church, New Bedford Massachusetts
A substantial church, built in the 1830's for one of the important congregations in New Bedford from the design of Alexander Jackson Davis
The church is owned by individuals of the First Congregational Society in New Bedford "who then sold the pews to indemnify themselves and deeded the property to the society for a nominal consideration" The building is still owned by the same society which later changed its name to the First Unitarian Society.
The original building was nearly square with an entry through a central tower on the front. A chapel was added to the north endj on Eighth Street at an undetermined date. Later apparently in the twentieth century this was replaced by a much larger parish house. Around the turn of the century the chancel was remodeled and a large Tiffany mosaic installed. The column capitals of the interior were modified and an ornamental band carried around the wall at the height of the. capitals. Apparently at this time a new pulpit and chancel rail were added and vestibule woodwork remodeled.