Shaker Church Family Round Barn, Hancock Massachusetts
Built by the "mechanic" of the Hancock Shakers; possibly Elder William Deming. Local materials were used for the construction. After 1960 it was owned by United Society of Believers in Christ's Second Appearing; Shaker Community, Inc.
The barn originally had a conical roof. A fire on December 1, 1864 destroyed the roof and substructure. It was rebuilt with a circular loft and a louvered turret for light and air, "like a small hat box on a larger one." There have been some additions; a brick ell or wing with a carriage shed below, (date is not known), and a cattle shed with stanchions built since 1900.
The barn was visited by Hawthorne and other notables.