Leavitt-Hovey House - now Greenfield Library, Greenfield Massachusetts
Built for Jonathan Leavitt. Early in the 19th century it was owned by Dr. George Hovey, and was inherited by his widow in 1888, It became the property of the Town of Greenfield in 1907.
A late 18th century mansion of a type rarely found in New England, with central mass, side pavilions and connecting links. Refined exterior details. Designed by Asher Benjamin. House has two-story main block with pavilions both sides.
Nothing of the original interior remains. Original building has been extended greatly to the rear (north) and somewhat to the east. The small wing at the east side of the east pavilion is also a modern addition, but in close harmony with the original work. In spite of the size of the necessary rear addition, it is relatively inconspicuous, allowing the original building to show very effectively from the front, with little or no competition.
Originally, it is thought, the west pavilion was used as a law office, and the east pavilion as dining room and kitchen.