Historic Structures

Union Mills, Fall River Massachusetts

Date added: December 12, 2009 Categories: Massachusetts Industrial Mill

The Union Mills were the first textile mills to be built in the city by a capitalized corporation, and they were a highly successful enterprise. The corporation was formed in 1859. Josiah Brown was the architect. No, 1 Mill was built in 1859 and No. 2 Mill in 1865. Production of textiles ceased in 1929

Until the mid 1960s there were fourteen buildings and additions on the site; the following are still standing:
No. 1 Mill 6 stories erected 1859
No, 1 Picker House 3 stories
No. 1 Engine House 1 story
No, 2 Mill 6 stories erected 1865
No. 2 Picker House 4 stories
No, 2 Boiler House 1 story
No. 2 Engine House 1 story
No, 2 Waste House 2 stories
Office Building 2 1/2 stories

The exterior walls of all major buildings, with one exception, were of locally quarried granite. No, 1 and No. 2 Mills had gable roofs, wood shingles; the 7 to 12 pitch was altered after 1876 to a very low pitched roof covered with built-up composition roofing.