Dungeness - Carnegie Family Mansion, St Marys - Cumberland Island Georgia
This mansion was built in 1884 as the Carnegie Family (of Carnegie Steel) Retreat. The home measures approximately 120 feet by 50 feet and is two and a half stories. The estate included a large recreation building with a swimming pool and various game rooms. Stables, water tower, barns and tenant houses were also on the property.
Cumberland Island, Georgia's largest barrier island, has a long history entwined with its many different inhabitants. Evidence endures in a variety of remains and ruins, which are open to the public visitation via the National Park Service. The Dungeness ruins is what is left of a 59-room mansion built by Thomas Carnegie (brother of steel magnate Andrew Carnegie) and his wife Lucy in the 1880s. This mansion was part of a large and lavish winter estate for the Carnegie family, which included pools, a golf course, and 40 smaller buildings. A fire in 1959 reduced the mansion to ruins.