Building Description Bridge House - Tifts Hall, Albany Georgia
The Bridge House, built circa 1857 by Colonel Nelson lift, is a large two story building with symmetrical classical proportions, four chimneys and Italian details such as arched brackets under the eaves. Although there have been changes and additions to the building over the years, the basic classic lines and Italianate details of the building have survived. The major change has been the addition of a brick warehouse behind the building. The flights of iron stairs have been removed from the north and south ends of the building. The building is now painted white with green shutters on the six windows that face west along the front facade. The double sash windows on either sid( of the tunnel that led to the bridge have been replaced by plate glass show windows. The tunnel that led to the bridge has been glassed in, making the ground floor front facade seem more solid than it originally would have been.
Since the tunnel has been closed off, the ground floor interior space th once consisted of Colonel Tift's office, the tunnel, and the toll-keeper's apartment is one large room presently used for the selling and storage of auto parts.
The second floor theatre and ballroom, that once had an elaborate stage with a frescoed proscenium and ceiling, now has been completely converted into office space. Only one of the open fire places remain to suggest the former richness of the room's details.