Crooked River Lighthouse, Carrabelle Florida
The increase in lumber trade from the Apalachicola River to Crooked River, southwest of Carrabelle, convinced the Lighthouse Board in 1888 to ask for a mainland light to replace the Dog Island Lighthouse, destroyed in 1873.
The deep river entrance, 18 feet deep at the bar, was considered an asset and the Board predicted a fairly large port there.
With a great deal of confusion over the land title, compounded by a fire which ruined many important documents, the $40,000 authorized in 1889 was not put to use until 1894-1895, when the lighthouse was finally under construction.
Work on the tower was completed in August, 1895, and the lantern and fixtures were installed two months later, exhibited for the first time on October 28. The Fourth Order lens, 115 feet above sea level, showed two flashes every ten seconds.
Approximate Dimensions: 28 foot column spread at base with 100 foot light tower.
Material Construction: Eighth wrought-iron pipe columns supporting a wrought-iron lantern and metal staircase.
A wrought-iron skeleton tower with enclosed stairwell built in 1895. The Fourth Order lens, 115 feet above sea level, showed two flashes every ten seconds. The upper half of the skeleton tower is painted dark red and the lower half white. The light is visible for ten miles.