Historic Structures

Simon C. Sherwood House, Southport Connecticut

Date added: March 23, 2011 Categories: Connecticut House

Simon C. Sherwood was born in Southport on June 10, 1840, the son of Edwin Sherwood. Edwin Sherwood owned two schooners, and was principally involved in the trade between New York and Savannah.

After his death in November 1906, Sherwood's widow and son S. Wakeman, a bookkeeper at the Southport Savings Bank, lived in the house until 1916.

The irregular L-shaped structure is two-and-a-half stories with partially exposed basement and measures 35' (northeast front facade) x 65' deep.

First Floor Plan: Corner hall plan. A parlor opens at the right through a wide doorway; a side parlor opens at the right of the front corner parlor and extends the full length of this section. The dining room abutts the rear of the front corner parlor. An ell addition extends at the rear.

Second floor: An L-shaped corridor is across the front and extends to the ell. Bedrooms are to each side.

Simon C. Sherwood House, Southport Connecticut 1966 DETAIL CORNER TOWER AND NORTH (SIDE) ELEVATION
1966 DETAIL CORNER TOWER AND NORTH (SIDE) ELEVATION