Converse House, Norwich Connecticut
The original owner was probably Col. Converse, who, with his wife, lived in the house for many years. Col. Converse gave the Converse Memorial Building to the local library. The house was owned by B. Haley before Kermit Belcher acquired it about 1959.
The house has an irregular shape approximately 35' x 60', two stories high plus attic and cellar, with a three-story tower over the entrance.
The house, rectangular in plan running east-west, has an entrance hallway at the west end. A parlor, living room, study and utility room occupy the north half of the house in that order toward the rear: a dining room, pantry, and kitchen the south half. The second floor is divided by a hallway running the length of the house with five bedrooms opening off it. There is one third floor room in the tower.
There is an open U-shaped stairway in the entrance hall with open string stairs and with a molded handrail, square paneled newel posts, and turned balusters, three per step. There is also a small back stairway.