Timothy Bishop House, New Haven Connecticut
Built on land which was garden plot of Reverend John Davenport, founder of the New Haven Colony. Governor Theophilus Eaton's residence was across the street. Davenport and Eaton were friends.
Charles P. Thompson removed exterior front stairs and added present brick wing to rear in 1929. Mr. DeVita built a new modem steel and concrete first floor entrance stair. Two large store windows and basement door were installed at basement level when Elm Street was lowered c. 1917. Mr. Thompson built attic room in the 1930's; this room inspired by the John Cook house ballroom across the street. Fan lights in attic are original.
Over-all dimensions: A two-and-one-half story, five bay house measuring 44-'-3" across the front by 49'-0" deep, including portico. There is also a full basement.
First floor: Rectangular plan with central hall flanked by two rooms on each side. Hall is divided by a modem aluminum and glass partition near the front door and two arched openings which define stair hall, the balustrade side of the stairs above first seven risers is in the same plane as the side wall, thus stairwell is beyond hall width. Front and rear rooms were connected by wide arched openings. Opening between east rooms is now sealed to form arched alcove in front room.; arch between west rooms is also closed but is pierced by modem door. Fireplaces project into the two front rooms and southwest room the full depth of the chimneys.
Second floor: Plan is basically similar to first floor.
Attic: Attic is divided into small offices and large center room under main gable parallel with front of building.