Everard Benjamin House (Hobart B. Bigelow House), New Haven Connecticut
The house was moved in the 1860's from, its location at the southwest comer of Bradley and Orange Street to the southwest comer of Lincoln and Bradley.
Hobart B. Bigelow is recorded in the New Haven Directories of the 1850's as a Machinist. By the time he owned the Benjamin House (when it stood on the comer of Orange and Bradley Streets), he had become the president of his firm and by 1879 he was Mayor of New Haven. Three years later he was Governor of Connecticut.
Alterations and additions: Addition of kitchen on the west about 1868. The present dining room occupies former kitchen space. Screened porch incorporated into columned porch on southeast comer of house is relatively modem.
Overall dimensions: This two story, three bay house measures approximately 38'-1/2" x 80'-6" overall, including porch.
First floor: overall cruciform shape with equal arms except at rear (west) which has been extended for existing kitchen; main entrance door is on east wall of the northerly arm. On the opposite wall of this entrance hall is a door leading to the music room. In the left comer of the entrance hall is an enclosed stairway leading upwards. Next to it is a doorway leading to the main front room which projects out to the east to form the eastern arm of the cross. An adjacent small study balances the composition by forming the front part of the south arm of the cross. A door from the study leads to a large room which was probably the dining room. This room and the music room are equal and in line, being separated by double doors which fold back to form panels in the thick wall. The western arm of the cross contained the kitchen with its large fireplace and brick oven. A rear enclosed stairway is situated between this kitchen and the dining room-music room block. The existing rear doorway is located under the stairs as are the stairs to the basement. West of the kitchen, which is presently the dining room, is an addition containing the existing pantry.
Second floor: There are three bedrooms situated over the parlor, music room and dining room. There is no second floor over the western arm of the cross.