Atwater-Ciampolini House, New Haven Connecticut
One of the few remaining examples in New Haven of the "shingle style" house of the 1890's. One of the forerunners of modem American domestic architecture.
The house appears to have stayed in the family of the original owner until it was sold on July 15th 1968 to Thompson & Peck, reportedly also a descendant of the original owner.
A two-story, 5 bay addition was built at rear of house, completed in Sept. 1969. It provides more than 3,000 feet of floor space and repeats the general style and character of the original building.
The main block of the house with east rear one-story ell measures approximately 51'-6" frontage by 60'-0" depth (excluding porch). The house is basically a rectangle of three-and-one-half stories (finished floors) with a short two-story wing on the northeast corner. Addition for offices added to rear (1969).
First floor: Porch on north wall leads to vestibule and main stair hall. Beyond stair hall is larger southwest porch.
A wide, cased opening and grillage-of small turned balusters (extending full height to ceiling), separates staircase from large reception hall in center of house. Reception hall, which has fireplace, is flanked by music-room and parlor, and is separated from them by almost room-width doors which slide into wall pockets. East of these rooms are the kitchen, pantry, and large dining room.
Second floor: Similarly arranged around the large stair hall which is a definite spatial link to the first floor.
Housekeeper's apartment on third floor.