Historic Structures

Building Description Bullocks-Wilshire Department Store, Los Angeles California

The origional plan was L-shaped with the long leg to the Worth, the short leg to the east. The void was at the SW corner. The L was filled in 1953 by a three story addition thus creating a rectangular plan. The building is relatively low compared to its width and there is an ascending sequence of roof levels from the second floor to the sixth, culminating in the tower, The result is an exciting silhouette.

There is a large porte cochere to the south which provides access from the parking facilities on that side. This is an open air structure and is finished in terra cotta. Its ceiling is finished with a large fresco painting which depicts the latest in modes of transportation in 1929. The main entrance with a large square headed opening and recessed doorway is located in the 4th bay from the east on the north facade (Wilshire Blvd side). This is the tower bay. There is a bulkhead over the secondary door in the 1st bay from the west on the north facade. There are projecting black metal canopies above the ground floor show windows.

The plans of the building are not established on a formal basis. The major rooms open one onto another. Several smaller areas fill up the residual spaces of each level. In general the open rooms are for limited merchandise display. All wrapping and sales areas are off the main spaces.

The most formal portion or the building; takes place adjacent to the elevator lobby. On the main floor the elevator lobby (which is also the area for toiletries sales) passes through the entire building from south to north. On the north end are six elevators (three on either side or the elevator lobby). To the east of this space is the area for the sales of accessories. To the immediate right of the lobby is the area for the sale of sportswear. Continuing westward, the strong order of the plan dissolves into an accumulation of smaller sales ares including riding, stationery, antiques, etchings, a girt shop, the boys shop, and mens shop. In the original plan there was a patio on the south side and a playground in the SW corner.

The second floor has three mam sections for sales. In the nortneast corner and on the east side are two rooms finished in eighteentn century french manner. The merchandise shown here are evening and day wear.

The lingerie display area is to the west of the lobby. To the far west are private offices and staff areas. The third and fourth floors are somewhat more informal, designed to appeal to the younger patrons. The fifth floor houses the restaurant and other dining rooms. The major "tea room" lies directly north of the lobby with another large room to the west. Along the east are several smaller rooms.

The basement is not a merchandizing floor, it is composed of the business offices directly off the lobby and personnel adjacent to it. The remainder of the level is used for storage and for mechanical equipment.