Structures by State
Structures by Type
Structures by Architectural Style
One of the few remaining examples in New Haven of the "shingle style" house of the 1890's. One of the forerunners of modem American domestic architecture.
The house appears to have stayed in the family of the original owner until it was sold on July 15th 1968 to Thompson & Peck, reportedly also a descendant of the original owner.More...
This large house, built as a summer cottage in 1882-1883, is an early work of the architects McKim, Mead, and White. It is a typical example of the Shingle Style, and it is distinguished by the extreme open character of its planning.
The second owner, Samuel F. Barger, Cornelius Vanderbilt's lawyer was brought to Newport by Vanderbilt. Barger named the house "Edna Villa" after his daughter. He purchased the home on September 9th 1891 for a total of $62,500. It was sold by his heir on April 19th 1952. It was sold again in 1956. The building housed a nursing home until March, 1969. It is now being used as apartments.More...
This is one of the larger residential buildings in this area of Newport. It is a particularly handsome example of the Shingle Style.
Deeds indicate the house was built originally between 1870 and 1872 for John 6. Richardson, although little from this period is visible. A further reference in the Newport Mercury, November 5, 1870, describes, "A house for John G. Richardson on Catherine Street, 41 feet by 45 feet, French roof, to cost $11,000." The house was extensively remodeled or even rebuilt during the period of the Shingle Style, ca. 1885, for Sophia E. Blatchford. According to records in the Newport Tax Assessor's Office, the value of improvements rose from $9,000 to $15,000 between 1879 and 1889. The house was again renovated about 1919. Extensive repairs were made primarily to the third floor following a fire.More...