Structures by Type
Structures by Architectural Style
Located at 430 Sixteenth Street in downtown Denver, the Empire Building was constructed in 1906-07 by real estate developers Julius Myers, Horace Bennett, and Jerome Riche. The building was designed by Frank E. Edbrooke, one of Denver's most prominent and prolific architects, whose works include the city's Brown Palace Hotel, Masonic Temple, and Denver Dry Goods Store. In his 1973 book. Historic Denver 1858-1893, architectural historian Richard Brettell wrote that Edbrooke "was almost singlehandedly responsible for the architectural maturity of Denver's downtown in the late 1880s and 1890s. The Empire Building, a six-story, brick, steel frame, commercial building with Neo-classical ornament,_is representative of the mature designs of the later portion of the architect's career. The building also represents the low-rise office and retail buildings which characterized downtown Denver in the early part of the twentieth century.
Construction on the Empire Building began in 1906, at a time when Denver's economy was enjoying an economic upswing. During the depression of the 1890s, Colorado had experienced widespread business failures, unemployment, labor unrest, and agricultural distress. In 1906, however, seven million dollars were spent on new construction in Denver, and confidence in the city's growth was mirrored in the construction of the city's $250,000 Carnegie Library, YMCA Building, El Jebel Temple, and City Auditorium, which was aimed at attracting new business to Denver.More...
The Guarantee Trust & Loan Company building has a Neo-classical designed facade with influences of the Chicago commercial style. Its granite facade has a bracketed cornice, one large plate glass window to one side, and a doorway to the other. It is a single-story rectangular structure with a basement. The ground floor contains three rooms, one of which is a vault. The structure also has a basement. There is a second entryway at the rear. The building is flanked on both sides by other commercial structures. To its rear are residential buildings.
The Guarantee Trust and Loan Company was founded in 1915. The structure was constructed in 1932 by Samuel L. May to house the Guarantee Trust and Loan Company and the facilities of a lawyer. In 1939 Joseph Ritzier acquired the property. After World War II, Clare Dennison inherited the property from his son, who died of war injuries. After then, Clare Dennison operated a small bookkeeping service in the building. The building was demolished in 1981.More...
Since its construction in 1802, Montgomery Place has never been sold. Each descendant has, in turn, received the family estate.
Janet Livingston Montgomery, the oldest of the eleven children of Margaret Beekman Livingston and Judge Robert R. Livingston, married General Richard Montgomery in 1773. Two years later, he was killed at the Battle of Quebec and his wife mourned his death throughout her life. In 1802 Mrs. Montgomery purchased 250 acres of land, part of which had been the old Schuyler Patent, from John Van Benthuysen. Mrs. Montgomery was nearly sixty years old when she moved from her estate, Grasmere, to the Montgomery Place. She probably moved because of Grasmere's association with her husband, and a wish to be nearer Clermont, the Livingston estate.More...