Structures by State
Structures by Type
Structures by Architectural Style
As an isolated entity, the Adams Building constitutes a pleasant example of the High Victorian Italianate style and contributes to the Landmark II Status of the 800 block of F Street. The facade presents an overall square proportion which could have proven very distruptive in a traditional environment where verticality tends to be dominant. Nevertheless, it has been cleverly treated so that it blends with the surrounding facades. The rise of the elevation is articulated into two stories and a shallow attic above the roof cornice. The resulting strong horizontality of the second story is altered by establishing an implied two bay division, each with an arcade of three segmental arched windows. To emphasize the expanse of the facade, however, the roof cornice and attic run the full width of the building without responding to the two bays below.
Bold, yet simple details enrich the facade in selected areas: around the second floor window, and at the roof parapet and cornice.More...
Col. Thomas C. Bates was a canal forwarder and railroad contractor who had married Maria Blossom. The Blossom family was one of the earliest to settle in the town of Brighton. Thomas Leighton, to whom Bates sold the property in 1875, was the owner of the Leighton Bridge and Iron Works, which he had moved to Rochester from Buffalo in 1873. This $1,000,000.00 a year business employed 200 people and specialized in railroad and highway bridges made of "American Riveted Lattice." Leighton was a director of the Rochester City Hospital and president of the City Bank of Rochester. Thomas B. Ryder was a prominent citizen and drygoods merchant associated with Sibley, Lindsay and Carr, the largest department store in Rochester.
Over-all dimensions: Forty-five feet by forty-eight feet; four bay north facade; two story main portion and three story tower and rear wing; L-shaped plan.More...
Imposing example of large commercial structure of of the 1870's, typical of Milwaukee's rapid growth and commercial development following the Civil War. It is also a good example of the prevailing style, which is described in a contemporary document as "simple Italian." It was built originally by Alexander Mitchell under contract with the Chamber of Commerce to occupy the exchange room for twenty years beginning May 1881 at a yearly rental of $3,000.00.
The building is constructed entirely of gray Ohio sandstone with 160' center tower with clock on four faces. Roof is of slate. Window surrounds are elaborate heavy projections with pediments, brackets, and various other motives from the eclectic vocabulary. The entrance door is flanked by granite pillars with figures of "commerce" "bear," and "bull." Actual entrance door has been modernized.More...