Dearing House, Tuscaloosa Alabama
The Dearing House was built for Alexander B. Dearing (b. 1800) North Carolina, a prominent Tuscaloosa merchant and brother of Capt. James Dearing. One of Alexander Dearing's daughters married Dr. W. S. Wyman and lived in the house before and after the Civil War. Legend tells that Union raiders spared the house in 1865 after the mistress of the house fed her last setting of turkey eggs to hungry soldiers who appeared at her door. Major James Spence purchased the house in 1888 and in 1919 the S. G. Swain family moved in.
This two-story brick and stucco Greek Revival residence features an Ionic columned portico extending about three sides. The interior features a circular staircase, elaborate friezes and black Italian marble mantles.